Friday, October 9, 2009

The Daily Strike-10/9/09-Nobel Freakout

Good evening and welcome to the Daily Strike. Maybe one day I will wake up and be told that I've won the Nobel Prize.

NOBEL PRIZE: Today, it was announced that President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize for, " his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples." I'm a big fan of the President. But I just can't figure this one out. If Obama can achieve some of the things he's proposed, like a widespread reduction in nuclear arms, a Mideast peace deal or aggressive action to address climate change, then the award should be his. But he hasn't done any of that yet. I don't mean to minimize the impact of his election on the world's collective psyche. I think many people around the world, including myself, considered his election to be one of the proudest moment's in our country's history. Nor do I feel, like a lot of conservatives and Saturday Night Live, that the President has done nothing.

I just feel like the prestige of the Nobel Peace Prize should be reserved for concrete actions.

The good news? The prize has made conservatives seethe in anger! Rush Limbaugh said that this was a "great embarrassment." Michael Steele, chair of the Republican National Committee, questioned what Obama had done to deserve the prize, and criticized his record on domestic policies. (The DNC had a field day with those remarks). Seeing right-wingers this angry makes the award completely worth it to me. Keep them coming!

As for how this prize effects his political standing at home, I don't think the President will feel too much of an impact. I hope he follows through on his word to use the prize as a "call to action."

Not much else happened today, so I'm gonna go watch some baseball and hang out with Lady Strike's clan. See you Monday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment