Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Big Picture: Postscript

In the spirit of fairness, I wanted to add on what our libertarian friend sent back to me. To a degree, I agree with him, and I'll be the first to admit that Whole Foods is a scapegoat for our frustration at the difficulty of getting necessary things done.

Fair enough. I assumed that you would like Whole Foods relative to
other grocery stores, but pursuing a more systemic critique may result
in eschewing those kind of comparisons.

I still don't understand why people who previously shopped at Whole
Foods would start to boycott now. John Mackey owns 1/140 of Whole
Foods; 99.3% of profits don't go to him. He expressed his private
opinion about healthcare, an issue mostly unrelated to Whole Foods'
operations. He only has made small political donations to the
Libertarian Party, a perpetual loser, so he could likely increase his
donations 100 times to $100,000 and still have zero impact on actual
policy.

I do not know Mackey's opinions on transportation, education, or the
FDA. Do you? Has he engaged in any activism against your cherished
goals and values beyond this WSJ op-ed? On unions, he seems to oppose
outside unions but wants the laws prohibiting company unions to be
repealed (https://webmail.nyc.gov/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mackey_(businessman)%23Unions)

No comments:

Post a Comment